Ragdoll cats descended from Persian cats and were developed by Ann baker in the year 1960. These cats were bred to attain certain traits, size and shape. Today, these cats look stunning with their blue color eyes and charming fluffy coat. Their loyalty and trusting nature make these cats the most desirable pets. They can adapt to a family that would just dote on them and love them. They are friendly and love to be treated like a child with sufficient attention and care. Dedication and loyalty towards the owner, strengthens the bond between the cat and its master.
Though these cats require minimal care, attention is more important to them. This cat will always make sure that it spends maximum time around its master. Training is a simple and an easy task, as these cats are known to be a clever and intelligent cat breed. Also their quiet and gentle temperament helps in their training. Their care is a comfortable task for the owner as cats of this breed are used to plenty of handling.
Their sturdy body and thick healthy coat make these cats among the largest cat breeds. A female cat weighs approximately 8-15 pounds, while the male weighs 12-20 pounds. They are mainly known for their striking shades of blue eyes and soft furry coat. They come in different coat colors such as chocolate, flame, cream and have a slight tinge of cream, lilac and blue. At birth, Ragdolls are white and change color as they begin to mature. By the age of 3-4 years the nose, ears, tail and paws will appear darker than the rest of the skin tone. The abdomen, paws and legs will remain white or it might have slight patches of white on the body merging with a different coat color.
- Though considered as low maintenance, these cats require frequent coat brushing to prevent them from ingesting their own hair. Cats tend to lick their body and the loose hair that are still stuck on their body is consumed by these cats. This could lead to severe health issues as your cat will start coughing out hairballs. They are known to have a luscious coat and tend to shed hair. To prevent hair fall on your furniture or clothes, frequent brushing is necessary.
- Always start from the head and brush towards the tail. Watch out for any other skin problems as you brush the cat. 3-4 times of stroking the brush is sufficient for grooming the cat.
- Avoid the facial area while brushing as it might cause pain and hurt the cat.
- The ears of your cat should be pinkish and always clear of dirt.
- These cats have the tendency to develop ear mites, in case of accumulation of ear dirt. Therefore, use damp cotton balls to gently cleanse the inside of the ear. The eyes should be very clear and bright as these cats also develop eye goop, which needs to be cleared.
- Giving your cat a well-balanced diet is necessary. Even a vet's recommended diet can work well for your cat's better health. It is important that your cat consumes all the nutrients to strengthen its health.
- Keep a litter box for your cat as it will keep the house clean and also train your cat to poop in one place.
- Take your cat for a regular veterinarian check up to keep the pet free from all health ailments.
- Try to keep your Ragdoll pet indoors as it might not be able to handle the outside environment. They make excellent pets when kept indoors.
- Spend as much time cuddling and playing with your cat. These cats enjoy and prefer the company of a fun loving owner.
Caring for these cats is not a difficult task. All your pet needs from time to time is grooming, and a little love and affection to be able to develop an everlasting bond with its owner.